Monday, July 04, 2005

Changing The Form of Film

email to Steve

Kubrick, in the last years of his life, talked about creating a new "form" for film. I don't know what that meant, but he implied that he wanted to change the structure or DNA of filmmaking.

My movies (e.g. Man Trap) are filmed simply because I felt something important and was moved by each image. I didn't plan to put the guy at the end to look and the camera and then look away suggesting that he was resigned to be a tool in the man trap of the factory. I just took the footage and had no idea what I was going to do with it, and doubing if it was good for anything.

But ManTrap ended up coming together just like a dream - a bunch of fragments from my
day coming together to form a story - who would have known. The same is happening with the "Bats of Ruby" a film I'm working on at present. I have the same thing, a bunch of images: But this time I have the confidence to create something really artistic, unique and true to how I "see" things.

No comments: