Saturday, September 24, 2016

MZUNGU's Last Edit?

It has been ten years since I was in Africa traveling and filming MZUNGU.  It has been ten years that I have been working on the 'digital film' MZUNGU.  And that's exactly how long it needed to take. Below is a list of possibly the last editing notes from reviewing current version of the film.  I feel I'm finally 'there' both from the artistic side and working with the technical challenges.  


CLICK ON IMAGE TO ENLARGE

For MZUNGU, my goal on the technical side was to develop 480P digital video and mini-DV tape (mid-2005 consumer imaging technology) in order to express its full potential from that era - while at the same time scaling-up the image to current HDTV technology.  Coincidentally, this type of vintage footage was ideally suited for artistic expression to convey a perception what I experienced in Africa. These textured images invoke dreamlike environments that mirror stages of sleep and consciousness.


RWANDA - OCTOBER 2006

No comments: