Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Humans, Technology & Early Space Travel

Left-to-right: Cosmonaut Valentina Tereshkova, Chief Designer Sergei Korolëv, Comonauts Yuri Gagarin and Valery Bykovsky. Image sourced from: Energia, Russia

The conceptual aspects of crafting my film "Valentina Tereshkova", continues my thinking into the dilemma humans face with our advances in technology.  Valentina Tereshkova was a young woman who's desire for adventure lead her to be the (former) Soviet Union's first woman Cosmonaut in space in 1963. Juxtaposed to Valentina was Sergei Korolëv the (secret) "Chief Designer" who lead a team of dedicated scientists and engineers into history with the first working machines of space travel. My film is about the moment in time when their histories intersected.
Having two characters of interest in the same 'story' has really opened both a fantastic opportunity and creative challenge to apply my perception of history on digital film. So far I'm finding that my previous films are providing me a map of sorts - like building blocks of filmic elements, that when combined (like in chemistry) create a pattern which will be the story that emerges from the fragments of film available on the topic. 

While examining scenes of the film completed to date, I'm finding a framework for speculation, of where this film wants to go artistically from this point forward.  Bart

No comments: