Wednesday, November 01, 2006

Filming in Africa

For the past two months I have been traveling in Africa (South Africa, Rwanda and Uganda). Although the trip was primarily undertaken for wildlife viewing, I brought my film and sound recording equipment and captured what I could along the way.

I want to create a film based on my travels that conveys my experience in Africa by extracting artistic elements of footage taken on the journey. I possibly want to present contrasts between what I actually saw in Africa, compared to my perceptions, myths and history of that continent. I'm also considering the juxapositions of: people/nature; peace/violence; and colonialism/ indigeneous cultures.

As typical with a majority of my work, I film what I feel is artistically, emotionally and aestetically important and then later in post-production, create a film bringing together elements of imagery and sound to create a story.

I also recorded sounds while in Africa. I probably have enough material for two CD's. One on nature sounds and the other compilation will just be the sounds of Africa.

Barton Santello
Arivaca, Arizona
Nov 1, 2006

No comments: